Saturday, April 2, 2016

Monologue Magic

          The backbone of my opening is its monologue and, even though I'm a firm believer in improvisation, I think it's necessary I prepare at least a loose script for Kiara before filming tomorrow. There are certain points I wish to address in my opening that I don't want to lose in ad lib.  
         
"Hey, you! What're you doing here? You're not supposed to be here. Wandering, at this time of night? You should've listened the first time 'round. You've gotta listen. They don't call me the Baddest Mama Jama Around for nothing. I tried to warn you, y'know, I tried. But you can't lead a horse to water." KIARA whips out a fork and puts it in the position of a gun. "Pew, pew, pew, pew, pew... pow. You do this to yourself." - the monologue

           First, I'll make a quick disclaimer! I know that the saying is "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink," but there's a point in her saying "-but you can't lead a horse to water." She messes up the line and it puts emphasis on the idea that she is not an action hero. No matter her attempts to be as cool as one, she will somehow fail because life is not a film. It's also the climax of the opening and I think that, accompanied by her pretending a fork is a gun, is a funny way to relieve the tension. 
          Moreover, the monologue includes two realities. Kiara imagines she's off somewhere in the back of an alleyway, confronting her nemesis. Really, the viewer can see that she's talking to herself in front of a mirror. 
          Furthermore, I'm presenting something that, to the character, would be considered very private. It is her ritual, the same as brushing her teeth or getting dressed, and so I want to include the line "You're not supposed to be here," because the audience isn't. Accompanied by Kiara looking straight into the camera, it will add to the confrontational feeling I want the opening to carry.
         Of course, I'm open to adjusting certain lines if need be, as long as the sentiment behind them remains.

Until next time!
CS

No comments:

Post a Comment