Saturday, March 26, 2016

Idea Time 2

            As I mentioned in my last post, a lot of progress has been made this week! Actually blocking everything out and realizing what I'm working with has definitely changed my perspective on my idea. 
           I've decided I want the opening to function more like a song, looping and cutting back to the mirror monologue as a sort of chorus. I think this will reinforce the idea of the monologue being a routine, as routines are repetitive. I've also cut additional scenes, like the mail room call-to-action scene, which will allow me to focus more on introducing the character and her desires, instead of trying to squeeze in an introduction to conflict. 
           I want to begin with a mid shot of Kiara staring straight into the camera, saying "Hey, you!" as it crash zooms into a close up of her face. I want to incorporate a theme of dramatic camera movement throughout the beginning of the opening, filming it like the character would imagine she looks in the moment. I also want the monologue to feel very confrontational, so I believe adding a crash zoom will help in that aspect. 
           I want to interrupt the continuation of the monologue after "Hey, you!" with a fast paced montage of Kiara putting her "Power Mix" CD into its player. The montage will be sound oriented, reminiscent of something along the lines of this fan made Leon: The Professional (1994 dir. Luc Besson) sound montage


           I then wish to cut back to Kiara where she left off, muttering and starting to talk about how she's the "baddest mama jama in here," while a funky song starts up in the background. I plan on bouncing between close ups, mid shots, and extreme close ups during the monologue, but never breaking the angle. I want the audience to believe she's breaking the fourth wall up until I reveal she isn't.
          The monologue will be separated into short bits by shots of Kiara messing around in her room, doing karate moves and things of the sort, but will build at the end when she starts saying things like "You think I'm playing? Does this look like playing?" whipping out a serving fork as a weapon. I decided against the butter knife mentioned in a previous post because anything knife-related seems too intimidating to me. I don't want my character to be intimidating as much as ridiculous towards the end. 
          I want to complete the opening by revealing that she was standing in front of a mirror throughout the monologue, and follow that by having her turn off the player (completing her ritual) and whispering "Showtime" to herself.

Until next time!
CS

2 comments:

  1. After going through your blog, I have very little critiques. I love it! Not only is your blog aesthetically pleasing, but it is filled with well-thought-out postings. I love how descriptive you are with your ideas and how you reference specific scenes so that the reader is able to picture what you are thinking in your head. I can feel your passion for your project through your words, which makes me really excited about your work. Your posts are filled with various media including pictures, videos, and links which all add to the intellect displayed within each post. You certainly did your research. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    First of all, your blog posts are excellent, incorporating the research aspect of the project(A LOT of research) as well as voicing your opinion on several aspects of film which includes the representation tropes. I can't seem to find any critiques in your blog since it is quite clear the genre and theme you want create, supporting it with several great films (Taxi-Driver being one of my favorite). I especially enjoy blog posts where I can hear the personality of the creator shine through. Overall, I can't wait to see the real thing as I'm sure it will be as great as what you are presenting. Good job with everything and keep working hard.

    ReplyDelete