Thursday, March 24, 2016

Free Music Archive Saves the Day

            Since I first came up with my idea, finding a song fit for my opening has been a major concern of mine. Because the song will play throughout the majority of the film, I want to ensure it isn't overpowering. At the same time, I want it to be bold, resembling a theme song in that it helps get my protagonist into her "character."



           I fell in love Curtis Mayfield's "The Underground" (demo version), presented above. I liked the idea of it being from the same artist that did Super Fly's (1972 dir. by Gordon Parks, Jr.) soundtrack, a film my character would've loved, and thought her choosing to put it on would make sense because of its funky tune and relation to the film. However, I knew figuring out copyright-things, or even waiting for a representative to get back to me could take more time than I have to give. 
          After leaving a ton of voicemails to Warner Bros. offices across the nation, I sort of lost hope. Filming next Sunday, I would like to know the song I plan on using ahead of time and not knowing when the Warner Bros. people would get back to me, I moved on to Free Music Archive. There, I found a bunch of groovy tunes and even decided on one, CSC Funk Band's "Little Business." The song starts off strong, which I like, but has no lyrics and could easily blend into the background, not overpowering the scene or monologue. The band is also licensed under an "Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License," which allows me, or any content creator, to use their song(s) as long as credit is given and it's indicated if the song was altered.

Until next time!
CS


No comments:

Post a Comment