Saturday, March 19, 2016

Things I Need

In order to create my opening I need quite a few things organized:


(1) Location: As I mentioned in my last post, I'm going to film the beginning of my opening in my room. Filming in my room, as opposed to a friend or family member's, will give me free range to manipulate the set as much as I'd like, and shoot reshoots, etc. without feeling like I'm taking a favor too far. If I have enough time to include the getting-the-mail sequence in my opening, I plan on using my neighboring neighborhood's outdoor mail area! It's all around beige, and I think it'll work well when trying to communicate the lameness of her world in comparison to that of those she aspires to be.

(2) Actress: Because my opening relies heavily on a monologue, it's important that I get an actress who understands what I'm going for and can deliver lines. My amazing, talented friend, Kiara, has already agreed to acting for me! She's a member of the school's musical theatre program, thus, experienced, and I've worked with her many times before. In addition, she lives a short walk away from me so it'll be no problem finding time to film.

(3) CD player: My other wonderful friend, Kimi, is lending me her old CD player. It has writing and scribbles all over it, which is perfect for the homemade feeling I'm going for!


Kiara (taken by yours truly)
(4) Action movie paraphernalia: Since Blockbuster isn't really a thing anymore, I'm going to take some old DVD's and replace their cover photos with covers like Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003 dir. by Quentin Tarantino) or Battle Royale's (2000 dir. by Kinji Fukasaku). Furthermore, I want to get a spray container that can pass for pepper spray and label it as so. I'll probably end up using a travel-sized hair spray bottle and attach a key chain to its end. Labeling the bottle "pepper spray" will also add to the makeshift-ness of everything my character does when trying to be like her idols.

(5) General set design: I plan on putting some action movie posters up around my room and taking down most of my art-things, as to not contradict any of my character's traits. In addition, I want to have a variety of colors present in my room. Thus, when my character leaves to do her chores, the monochromatic-ness of the mail area will clearly juxtapose the opening's previous setting, translating the contrast between her real and contrived world.

(6) Equipment: I plan on filming on my camcorder. Since my camcorder's footage gets grainy in low light, I'm going to film in the morning, using sunlight and a couple of lamps to light the scene!

(7) Costume: I want to have Kiara dressed in something that is clearly a costume. I have many outfits in mind, but I for sure want her in large hoop earrings with her hair down.

That's all I can think of for now! I must thank my lovely friends who never fail to warm my heart with their willingness to help.

Until next time!
CS

No comments:

Post a Comment